The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Why deplore gay marriage?


It’s no skin off my own nose, of course.

And neither is the popularity of boxing or the rise of violence in hockey, but I disapprove of both, all the same.

Nor, for that matter, is abortion, or infanticide, or involuntary euthanasia.

There are lots of things that are not directly any of my concern but that, nevertheless, I abhor.

Which is not to say I would go very far out of my way to put an end to them, even supposing I personally could do such a thing.

But it is to say that, other things equal, I would rather an end were put to them, somehow.

Anyway, why disapprove of gay marriage?

First of all because it is, indeed, a ludicrous travesty and a shameful mockery of something real, vastly important, and deserving of enormous respect.

But much more importantly because it implies that gay couples have or should have the same rights as real marrieds and that others have or should have the same obligations toward them.

And that, I fear, though I do not know, puts children at greater risk of all sorts of bad things that can happen to children, at the hands of those to whose care they are delivered up.

Not a risk society should blindly take.

And yet, that is exactly what we are doing, and it is exactly what the masters of PC demand that we do.

Imagine that.

Anyway, on the other hand, I do favor legal creation of civil partnerships for the purpose of providing people in gay couples thus officially sanctioned specifically enumerated rights such as, for example, hospital visitation rights.

Rights without surprises.

And I do not favor criminalization of homosexuality per se, though it is none of the Supreme Court's business and I never rejoice when the Supremes lie their way to a result so transparently ideologically motivated.

Though, admittedly, sometimes I nevertheless prefer that to a more honest call.

Update.

To be clear, if the churches want to perform ceremonies they consider same-sex marriages, that is fine, and it would be fine for those ceremonies to have the legal force of creating an official civil union.

But it would be better if neither in that way nor in any other could persons of the same sex actually marry.

Still, as noted above, ultimately, no skin off my nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment