The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Beautiful and the Damned

Either I didn't notice or there's less in his other books.

He seems to skirt the edges of anti-Semitism.

And though it might be sexism it certainly isn't misogyny, though I can't imagine today's feminazis would let it pass.

"Gay" to Fitzgerald does not remotely mean "homosexual," and a coming out party is the same thing in this novel as in "War and Peace."

He was a slightly younger contemporary of my French Catholic working class grandparents, this privileged and brilliant Irish Catholic admirer of America's Protestant establishment elites.

While he sat out the war an officer in America my grand-pere went to France a Doughboy with Blackjack Pershing.

And lived to tell the tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment