The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Ted Cruz at the convention

Ted Cruz not backing down as he reopens wounds from hard-fought GOP primary

Given the facts reported he neither refused nor even declined, last night, he simply didn't endorse Trump.

He called on Republicans to vote their consciences up ticket and down.

But today, when urged to endorse and support Trump, he refused.

“In that speech last night I did not say a single negative word about Donald Trump,” Cruz said. 

“And I’ll tell you this morning, and going forward, I don’t intend to say negative things about Donald Trump.”

But some at the breakfast had some negative things to say about Cruz. 

A man held up a sign reading “Clinton/Cruz 2020.” 

Others yelled at him to sit down or accused him of sowing discord and reneging on promises.

Cruz justified his remarks by saying that he congratulated Trump on securing the nomination. 

He also assured attendees that he will not be voting for Clinton in the fall. 

But he was far from conciliatory, repeating that although he would listen to Trump’s speech Thursday, he would not be endorsing the real estate mogul.

“I’m going to be listening to how he and the campaign conduct themselves every day from now until November,” Cruz said.

He also stood by his decision not to honor a pledge he made last year to support the eventual GOP nominee, saying that the pledge was rendered moot because Trump attacked his family.

“The day that was abrogated was the day this became personal,” he said. 

“I’m not going to get into criticizing or attacking Donald Trump, but I’ll just give you this response: I am not in the habit of supporting people who attack my wife and attack my father.”

No comments:

Post a Comment