The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Winter begins in Pittsburgh

16 degrees in my driveway this morning.

Roads, sidewalks, bridges, and lawns coated with snow.

When I got to the city I was interested to note they had put down sand.

They haven't used sand on the roads since I got here in 1975, as I recall.

The strategy there and in the 'burbs has been to alternately lay down salt and scrape the roads down to the blacktop.

If the strategy is shifting to putting sand in the snow and not scraping down to the black top drivers will need to stop relying on their all weather radials and start using snow tires in winter.

Been a very long time since I used snow tires in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment