The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The bright side

When you are dead you won't have to drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out, any more.

That would be a splendid relief, if we were able to realize it.

Like Santayana, I am a materialist - rather than an idealist, a solipsist, or maybe a Humean or some other kind of skeptic - because I believe it.

And so I believe that I believe because my personal biology and environment have conspired to so arrange it.

Some sort of Bergsonian emergent evolutionism about consciousness, causal theory of perception, and realism about appearances seem right. 

But along with them I accept a Platonism of sets, numbers, properties, propositions, states of affairs, and various possibilia.

The world is so strange a place.

What seems to be is so odd.

Anyway, suicide has this to be said for it. 

It's a choice you'll never regret. 

No comments:

Post a Comment