The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pirates, gangsters, and mafias

I had thought to write something about the state, comparing the worst with regions or cities actually governed, if that is the right word, by criminals.

But then, of course, I realized that the worst of states have been much worse than anything run by pirates, gangsters, or mafias.

Pol Pot.

Mao.

Oh, yes.

Many years ago, when Marshal Ky ran South Vietnam, a friend complained bitterly that US support for that country ought to end because his government was so corrupt.

In response to which I pointed out the only too evident fact that a government can do much worse things to its people than steal from them.

Though I opposed US support for the government of South Vietnam, I at all times hoped for a victory for them.

Not for the sake of the US or for my sake, or for the sake of anyone personally close to me.

But for the sake of the people of South Vietnam.

Not that I had the least inclination to go fight to save them.

Like Dick Cheney and nearly everyone else, I had other priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment