The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Quid pro quo? Always?



My two cents.

It’s true that from exchange both parties benefit.

But there is no guarantee the parties gain equally and anyway the fact is that ownership itself is coercive and, in that sense, pretty much every exchange is a stick-up.

("Property is theft," remember?)

Because I own X you cannot simply use it if you need it.

I can demand you pay me, perhaps a heavy price.

And it is the community whose collective will makes me, perhaps for better but perhaps for worse, the owner in the first place, whether or not the community is at most a metaphor, as Binswanger's individualism entails.

And in any case parenthood is not readily explained as egoism masquerading as altruism.

Nor are such efforts as those cited by Steve.

In such cases, selfish genes might somehow be at work.

But those are not selfish people.

Yes, writing of genes as selfish is a metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment