The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Monday, April 27, 2015

If you don't trust someone, don't act like you do just to be polite.

On Good Friday the wife and I went to a nearby church we have never been to before to pick up fish sandwiches.

The church was close to the street on a corner and cars were parked all over both sides of both streets, even in areas painted yellow or under No Parking signs.

There was an open, illegal spot and the nearest alternative looked to be more than a block away.

I took the illegal spot.

As we went into the church some cross looking old fellow warned us the police were giving out lots of tickets.

Instantly, I didn't trust him.

Without even slowing I down I looked at him and smiled and said something like "Uh huh, thanks," and we walked right on by, into the church.

The place was packed and it was about 15 minutes before we got back to the un-ticketed car and drove off happily home.

The thing is, the evidence was all against him and he lacked the proper tone and demeanor for a man giving a friendly warning.

I had no particular belief as to what he was doing instead, but I believed he was not doing that.

I was confident enough he was lying to pay no mind.

Most likely, I suppose, he was trying to keep that last remaining nearby space open for someone he knew was coming, for whom he was waiting.

But he could have been lying for the heck of it, or because somebody had crossed him somehow and he needed to get back at somebody.

Or for some other reason or reasons I have no idea of.

Thing is, I didn't need to understand what he was doing.

I only had to know what he was not doing.

He was not giving a friendly warning; he was not telling the truth.

If you don't trust someone, don't act like you do just to be polite.

You don't need to be rude about it.

But don't play along.

No comments:

Post a Comment