The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

May the best Webstores win

Amazon just made it harder to get free shipping

These days I buy from Jet or Barnes & Noble whenever possible.

I just very reluctantly ordered a new Feather DE razor, a hundred Shark blades, and a Van Der Hagen kit (without the razor) from Amazon.

As it turned out, the cheapo, no-name DE razor my wife gave me some time back, now that I have tried it, gives a much better shave than my Schick Injector, and a cheaper one.

A single 7 blade Schick injector runs just under $6.00 while a hundred Shark blades go for just under $10.00.

That's 86 cents a blade vs. 10 cents a blade.

If I push it I can get two weeks out of an injector blade, and the world is a better place if I don't.

Meanwhile, the DE blades seem to last only 5 to 7 days without pushing - but why push?

And everyone seems to agree pretty much any brush and soap combo will be better, and in most cases cheaper, than canned shaving foam.

A single VDH soap puck is said to last for a year and costs about $2.00 while an 11 ounce can of Gillette Foamy good for a couple months goes for a bit more than that.

[Update, 9/13/16. Phooey. A puck lasts three or four months. Still . . . ]

Do the math.

Relevant websites strongly recommend the Feather (along with numerous other minimally aggressive razors) with minimally aggressive blades for the DE beginner as well as for men with lighter beards, so I went ahead and ordered.

Aggression in a razor is defined as exposure to the blade and aggression in a blade is defined as sharpness.

The DE and wet shaving websites warn users to buy a styptic pencil, so I did.

But I've been using the cheapo DE daily for over a week and so far have only nicked myself once, and that's a better record than I had with the Schick.

Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment