The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

The march of the Red Guards

I was distressed, depressed, and annoyed to see from this piece how far the march of the pointy-headed liberals through the institutions has progressed.

Gramsci would be smiling.

Unimportant as it may seem to the many, America's philosophy departments have a great influence on American elite opinion.

But I am old.

The harm will fall, I hope, principally on later generations.

Only fair.

People much younger than I are doing these cruel and dreadful things.

When I was an undergraduate at Holy Cross, I was gratified that philosophy departments served as a refuge from the political pressures both of the Cold War and of the rebellions against it.

The department at HC was a sheltered place where in utter privacy and security one could reveal and discuss one's inmost thoughts in complete candor, with no fear of the stupid and vicious mob or the demagogues who led it.

What a priceless freedom that was!

Is it lost?

Will it be destroyed by these wretched fanatics?

Do they really think the freedom insisted on by the 18th century was only freedom from their enemies, but not from themselves, these modern liberals unworthy of the name?

No comments:

Post a Comment