The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Friday, January 13, 2017

Pot roast for four days

The Giant Eagle had Angus chuck on sale for $2.88 a pound.

I bought two pieces of chuck, each just shy of 2.5 pounds.

I have a huge, deep turkey roaster I never use for turkeys.

I cut each chuck roast in half and braised the four pieces in canola oil.

I put one piece in each corner of the roasting pan and added, already peeled and cut - by me, of course - , 6 restaurant potatoes, 6 yellow onions, 4 carrots, 4 parsnips, and 4 turnips, along with half a medium cabbage cut into 4 pieces.

To that I added half a bottle of Argentine Malbec, 2 cups of water into which 4 beef bouillon cubes had been previously dissolved, another 3 or 4 cups of water, and the oil in which I had braised the meat.

The meat was fully submerged but much of the vegetable load stuck above the surface of the fluid.

After 3 hours in the oven at 350° F the fluid had cooked down only a little, so I added none.

I flipped over the meat, still mostly covered by the fluid, and all vegetables not fully submerged, and put it all back in the oven for another 2 hours.

Then into the fridge, split evenly into two covered containers, including the surviving fluid.

Tomorrow, I'll reheat the contents of one container on the stove top for two hours and we'll have it for supper with a friend of the wife's who had us over to her place for a fine New Year's pork roast.

We'll drink the rest of the Malbec, or some Pinot Grigio I have chilled, if that's anyone's pleasure.

Or both!

No comments:

Post a Comment