The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Draft dodgers

A recent upsurge in talk of reviving the draft naturally leads to the question whether there is any reason to want it to succeed (there is not) or anyway to regret or oppose either mass, lawful opposition to it, or civil disobedience, or draft-dodging.

I think not.

I think we should welcome them all.

There are no wars the US needs to fight, even with volunteers.

And when there is no good reason to get into a war there are plenty of reasons not to.

This is not a case of me selfishly wanting others to fight my wars for me, since there is no war I want others of my country to fight.

Though I see no problem with such selfishness, per se, anyway.

I am perfectly happy to let other people fight fires and crime for me, and would do my best to escape a draft into the fire department or the police.

Likewise, and like an Israeli, I would be perfectly delighted to have other countries fight my own country's wars for me, if there were any to fight.

Much as the NATO allies have been delighted to let the US take on responsibility for their defense for several decades.

And I suppose it is a good thing that other Americans volunteer for US military service, since I can't imagine anybody invading America with a program that would do ordinary folks like me anything but harm.

Though it is not a good thing that so many volunteer that foolish, costly, and dangerous wars become feasible for our idiot rulers, and an occasion for misplaced enthusiasm on the part of our stupid, sporting public.

Anyway, no draft, please.

The US military does not have to make the world safe for anything or anyone but America and Americans.

And that job is so easy it has not required a single war since the Revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment