The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Monday, July 6, 2020

Where Biden was a month ago

Joe Biden Wants to See Studies About Feasibility of Slavery Reparations

Presumptive Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden said Wednesday he was in favor of paying slavery reparations to African Americans and Native Americans if studies found direct cash payments to be a viable option.

Critics have questioned Biden on his refusal to commit to paying reparations, which proponents say would serve as monetary compensation for the actions of white slave owners. 

Monies paid would also help to bridge the wealth gap between African Americans and white people. 

While some have suggested paying cash directly to the descendants of African slaves, Biden said he would need to look at studies concerning the idea first.

. . . .

Biden demurred on specifically stating he was in support of reparations, saying the answer "would depend on what it was and will it include Native Americans as well."

I oppose both.

Just buying black votes and caving into ludicrous black claims that refusal would cost crucial black votes, accompanied by absurd assurances endorsement of reparations would cost few white votes.

I have already decided I will not do in-person voting this fall.

That's because of the virus.

But in fact I may quit voting altogether for reasons considered in posts labeled the futility of voting.

That doesn't mean I won't almost certainly regard the victory of the Democrats as preferable in net for me personally, for my family, and even for the country as a whole.

But I might also think both campaigns and either candidate do or would do harm to the country in very serious ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment