The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

John

New Living Translation, Quiet Strength New Testament, Tyndale.

In the prologue, Jesus is the eternal word become human, come into the world as the Son of God.

A little bolder than the synoptic vision.

7:53-8:11

The woman taken in adultery.

She is supposed to be stoned to death by Jewish law.

Most ancient sources do not have this passage.

Why does Jesus do this?

In this as in the other gospels, Jesus preaches the necessity of faith for remission of sins.

But for those who have faith, their sins are forgiven and punishment is waived.

Examples abound in the gospels.

8:24b Unless you believe that I AM who I claim to be you will die in your sins.

Did you see that I AM?

You don't find claims of quite that nature in the synoptics.

8:58 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I AM."

John maintains more than once that Jesus is without sin.

8:46, 9:24,25, for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment