The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Surgery, yesterday

Left inguinal hernia repair with mesh, laproscopic using a robot, at UPMC Shadyside.

Abdominal block and general anesthesia.

Arrived at five, out by three.

A bit more than two hours prep, what with reviewing patient and physician ids, medical history, taking the vital signs, review of the nature and purpose of the surgery to come, reviewing and signing consents, discussing and choosing the option of an abdominal block, final draining of the bladder, setup of heart and blood oxygen monitors, doing the block, and discussion of and specific prep for general anesthesia.

Non-medical hospital staff, nurses, a PA, medical technicians, and several doctors of different types were involved.

The surgeon came in for a greeting and a chat, and personally marked on my body the location of the agreed and very thoroughly discussed surgical intervention.

And more.

A little more than an hour in the actual OR, at which I was unconscious throughout.

God knows what happened.

(Joke.)

Afterward, I woke in the recovery room, attended and monitored by cheerful and helpful nurses and other staff.

Then back to the original examining room for further recovery from anesthesia, removal of monitoring gear, and waiting for me to be ready to go home.

During this period I was rejoined by my wife, who had brought me and would drive us home after I passed three checks: could I stand and walk about on my own, could I drink and hold down fluids, and could I pee 100 cc's in a cup.

Dry as a desert even before surgery (nothing by mouth after midnight but permitted medications was the rule), I had been at the ice water since the recovery room.

Though the BPH made it tricky, I had also been on a fluid IV since before the surgery, so I walked about the room on my own and went into the bathroom with no trouble, and passed the pee test on the first try.

On the way home we stopped for another pee and picked up Big Macs and fries for take-out that we ate immediately when we got home, our first food all day.

The dry mouth - and frequent, small pees - persisted the rest of the day and through the night, but cleared up by this morning.

The block has worn off and surface numbness has passed.

I shaved and made coffee but I can't shower until tomorrow.

My wife picked up Oxycondin yesterday, prescribed just in case, though the medical team and printed home care instructions agreed megadoses of ibuprofen alternated with acetaminophen for three days would do.

In fact, I am so far fine using only standard doses of Tylenol.

All usual meds resumed this morning.

I had skipped hydrochlorothiazide the morning of surgery, as instructed.

A tight athletic supporter is prescribed for a week to keep down swelling.

There is a five pound weight limit on lifting for several weeks to come.

No driving for a week.

If I were not retired I could most likely return to work after my two week surgical followup visit.

I had hoped that, as during recovery from an emergency appendectomy a few years back, my appetite for food would be diminished so I would have a bit of effortless weight loss.

No such luck.

I am alert and feeling up for activity though I am forbidden activity beyond routine walking and stair climbs.

I was specifically warned off many things among which were specifically listed aerobics and weight training.

Hah!

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment