The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

PA primary next week

The polls look good for Hillary.

I am not sure yet who I will vote for, but I think my wife will vote for Hillary.

I was an early supporter of Bernie and actually sent money to his campaign, though I am not an enthusiast for his health insurance plan or his higher education plan (his banks plan is OK), and I am unsure about his protectionism.

Mostly, he was the not-Hillary for me, and I would actually have preferred Biden, whom I perceived as a Hillary without the misandry, the militarist tendency, or the hanging threat of indictment.

But in recent weeks I have grown more unhappy with Bernie as he has taken shape more clearly as a sour old sixties radical who never got over it.

So I may go for Hillary, after all.

Perhaps a more interesting evolution in my views has been a growing distancing from any part of what I have sometimes described in posts about Trump as Buchananism, the ideology of Pat Buchanan that Trump is running on.

Trump has done very powerfully what Pat did not do, make protectionism and thoroughgoing anti-globalism show up as just as frightening, stupid, and reactionary as Pat's white Christian traditionalist and male identity politics - all of them menaces to the America I love and to the safety of the world.

Pat's enthusiastic support for Donald Trump has been a revelation, discrediting both Trump and himself.

[Update, 12212016. I have edged back toward support for the trade and foreign policy aspects of America First Buchananism. Not totally there, but not opposed.]

Update. Just donated to Hillary online.

Update. I'll vote for Katie, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment