The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Monday, January 21, 2019

The MAGA boys

If this is right, and it certainly could be and likely is, he wasn't mocking anyone and he and the other MAGA boys were on the receiving end of hateful speech and conduct.

Both the Black Hebrews (That's a thing? Yes.) who shouted insults at them and the Indian who shouted indigenista weaponized history were the ones in the wrong, if anyone.

As for the kid's claimed personal embrace of diversity, if real he might have been one of the few people there not playing out identity grievances and hates.

Apart from that it seems the MAGA hat might be attributable entirely to the kid's Catholic sociocon commitment.

It seems he and the other students were in DC for an anti-abortion march.

Statement of Nick Sandmann, Covington Catholic High School junior, regarding incident at the Lincoln Memorial

The protestor everyone has seen in the video began playing his drum as he waded into the crowd, which parted for him. I did not see anyone try to block his path. He locked eyes with me and approached me, coming within inches of my face. He played his drum the entire time he was in my face.

I never interacted with this protestor. I did not speak to him. I did not make any hand gestures or other aggressive moves. To be honest, I was startled and confused as to why he had approached me. We had already been yelled at by another group of protestors, and when the second group approached I was worried that a situation was getting out of control where adults were attempting to provoke teenagers.

I believed that by remaining motionless and calm, I was helping to diffuse the situation. I realized everyone had cameras and that perhaps a group of adults was trying to provoke a group of teenagers into a larger conflict. I said a silent prayer that the situation would not get out of hand.

During the period of the drumming, a member of the protestor's entourage began yelling at a fellow student that we "stole our land" and that we should "go back to Europe." I heard one of my fellow students begin to respond. I motioned to my classmate and tried to get him to stop engaging with the protestor, as I was still in the mindset that we needed to calm down tensions.

I never felt like I was blocking the Native American protestor. He did not make any attempt to go around me. It was clear to me that he had singled me out for a confrontation, although I am not sure why.

The engagement ended when one of our teachers told me the busses had arrived and it was time to go. I obeyed my teacher and simply walked to the busses. At that moment, I thought I had diffused the situation by remaining calm, and I was thankful nothing physical had occurred.

I never understood why either of the two groups of protestors were engaging with us, or exactly what they were protesting at the Lincoln Memorial. We were simply there to meet a bus, not become central players in a media spectacle. This is the first time in my life I've ever encountered any sort of public protest, let alone this kind of confrontation or demonstration.

. . . .

I harbor no ill will for this person. I respect this person's right to protest and engage in free speech activities, and I support his chanting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial any day of the week. I believe he should re-think his tactics of invading the personal space of others, but that is his choice to make.

I am being called every name in the book, including a racist, and I will not stand for this mob-like character assassination of my family's name. My parents were not on the trip, and I strive to represent my family in a respectful way in all public settings.

I have received physical and death threats via social media, as well as hateful insults. One person threatened to harm me at school, and one person claims to live in my neighborhood. My parents are receiving death and professional threats because of the social media mob that has formed over this issue.

I love my school, my teachers and my classmates. I work hard to achieve good grades and to participate in several extracurricular activities. I am mortified that so many people have come to believe something that did not happen -- that students from my school were chanting or acting in a racist fashion toward African Americans or Native Americans. I did not do that, do not have hateful feelings in my heart, and did not witness any of my classmates doing that.

But at least some of the people who first circulated the video and account making the MAGA boys bad guys aren't buying Sandmann's story.

All which points up the weak spot in the claim that the celebration of diversity on the left isn't, for many, really a celebration of everybody who isn't white paired with abiding hatred of white people and the world they have built.

To the extent that it is or is allowed to appear so, the conviction of so many that the Dems are the party that sells out whites while the GOP try to protect them is made plausible.

And to some degree it really is true.

Or the kid could be the Trumpist asshole he was originally taken to be, but so much smarter than Trump that he lies much more plausibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment