The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Reading Bill Kauffman. They do not deserve our thanks

Living veterans of any of America's wars of this and the last century.

Nor the dead, for that matter.

Yes, they fought at their country's behest.

But for all that they did not do us Americans a bit of good, whatever good they sometimes did for others.

Those who went under coercion deserve an apology from those who sent them, whether in the days of Wilson, FDR, Truman, JFK, LBJ, Bush I, Bush II, or Obama.

I am one of millions owed, along with my father, my uncles, and my maternal grandfather.

Not thanks,  but an apology.

Come to that, an apology is owed as well to those who refused to go, whether they resisted or evaded service, including deserters.

I am not holding my breath.

Remember this, come November 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment