The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Year of Living Dangerously

The movie dates from 1983.

Can it really be 30 years since this came out?

Can I really have been 34 when I saw it at the theater?

And I can't remember with whom.

Who was I with, then?

Anyway this may have been the last time it really made sense for the US to aid Muslims to political power, even against communists.

This time in Indonesia, I mean.

Even though things are a bit dicey there, now, owing to increasing Muslim radicalism.

Later, Reagan helped Muslim fighters in Afghanistan throw out the Russians and their client communists and we got the Taliban for our trouble.

And then al-Qaeda.

It's not even clear this was better for the Afghans.

And I who say so am a lifelong anti-communist!

No comments:

Post a Comment