The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

I could be wrong, but I’m not wrong.

Or so I think.

I’m not a brain in a vat and not a pod-person living on the planet on which The Matrix was modeled.

Nor am I a res cogitans delivered up to the deceits of an esprit mal.

Other people are not empty puppets, nor are animals, and there are other minds whose experience is theirs and not mine.

Even the neighbors’ noisy dogs are animate.

For the most part, memory serves and at any rate I actually have a past, being a sort of entity that persists through time.

And so there is an I, an Ego, a Self.

If one sees only white swans one is apt to think all swans white; one has greater confidence as the number of white swans seen grows larger.

The future will resemble the past, up to a point. In some ways.

Can I prove any of this? Do I know it?

Pshaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment