The pseudonym "Philo Vaihinger" has been abandoned. All posts have been and are written by me, Joseph Auclair.

Saturday, November 11, 2017

OK, it's vets day

I would have taken the Olive Garden up on their offer of a free dinner, but the wife has for days looked forward to a half rack of my home-baked baby back ribs, broiled for about 5 minutes at the end, coated with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce, tonight.

So, nope.

The ribs are in the oven.

Did I mention that when I renewed my DL early just last month I took up Pennsylvania's offer to put a Veterans' flag on it?

Various sorts of freebies and benefits are associated with veterans' status, including some places that have parking spots reserved for vets right next to those for cripples, pregnant women, and new moms.

This history is not quite right.

Memorial Day was originally a day informally set aside to commemorate and visit the graves of the Union dead of the Civil War, and later people took that day to visit the graves of their family dead, in general.

When I was a child, we visited the grave of my father's mom on Memorial Day, for instance.

What is now Veteran's Day was originally Armistice Day, commemorating the end of the Great War at 11 am on November 11, 1918.

No comments:

Post a Comment