Friday, July 15, 2016

The Nice killer maybe not a Jihader?

Nice attack: Who was the man who drove the lorry?

Perhaps not a Jihader but only an isolated and profoundly alienated man who hated the French among whom he lived.

There is nothing to say he had the least interest in Islamic radicalism or Jihad, so far, at all.

Nobody has claimed responsibility, he left behind nothing to indicate this was for ISIS or Islam.

There are questionable reports some witnesses say the fellow shouted "Allahu Akbar" out a window before firing his pistol, but even if true that only establishes he was, as we knew anyway, a Muslim.

Mass murder is not terrorism.

Police are yet to confirm the identity of the man behind the wheel of the white lorry that ploughed into hundreds of people celebrating Bastille Day on the seafront in Nice.

However, he was named locally as Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, a 31-year-old man living in Nice, known to police but not previously linked to jihadist groups.

He was married with three children and worked as a delivery driver, although he no longer lived with his partner, reports say.

. . . .

He had been in trouble with the police in the past for petty crime and violence, but he was not on the watch list of radicalised young men.

. . . .

According to one report, the killer hired the lorry from a rental firm in Saint-Laurent-du-Var, a town to the west of Nice, two days beforehand.

In 2012, he was barred from entering the home he shared with his partner in the north of the city because of allegations of domestic violence.

Outside the flat in the Route de Turin where he had been living, residents of the four-storey building described the man as a loner who never responded when they said hello. 

He would often be seen climbing the stairs to his first-floor flat, carrying his bike, they said.

Although the attacker had a pistol, all the other weapons found in the lorry turned out to be fake, which raises questions about the extent of support he had from jihadist groups.

. . . .

Many of France's jihadist killers, starting with Mohammed Merah in Toulouse in 2012, began their journey towards militant Islam as petty criminals.

The Nice attacker appears to have followed the same path.

The state of emergency Hollande has extended was already in force and did nothing to prevent this attack.

To all appearances, no security measures at all could have prevented this attack.

Earlier in the day, before the attack, Hollande said he was going to discontinue the state of emergency because it is incompatible with the rule of law and republicanism.

Immediately after the attack it failed to prevent, he extended the state of emergency for another 90 days.

As for his solicitude for republican values and the rule of law, wasn't it only last week he and his PM invoked a special emergency provision to enact into law a labor reform they wanted, without the participation of a parliament that, though controlled by his own party, refused to do it for him?

Something must be done.

This is something.

Update.

Police are now on board this was the guy.

Latest reports still show nothing to make this actual Jihader terrorism.

Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel Identified As Driver Of Truck In Nice Attack

No comments:

Post a Comment